Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Thoughts on Racism.



Here’s a fair question to ask. What do I know about racism as a white male in his 60’s? It’s a fair question.
I grew up with very a very racist grandfather who went as fat as to threaten an elderly black couple crossing the drive at the church they attended together. My grandfather almost ran them over, stopping at the last moment.
“ Mover you nigger asses or I will run you over.” I was about 7 or 6. My mother seemed to take it in stride, though she later told me, “That’s just how grandpa is. I’m not like that and I don’t want you to be either.” My father later talked to me about it. He told me, “Don’t judge a man simply by the color of his skin. Get to know him. If h’s stupid, it will come to show. If he’s ignorant, that’s different to me. I believe you can educate the ignorant, but stupid is forever.
“There are far more stupid and ignorant whites than you can possibly imagine. I want you to have something I didn’t. Am opportunity to judge for yourself.”
I took it to heart. My first wife is Hispanic, so now, are my children. They’ve been harassed by police and white people alike in Texas. My daughter was forcibly drug from her vehicle by a Dallas officer who pulled her over because he said her music was too loud. She also has very nice tattoos on her shoulders; one of the Virgin Mary and the other of Jesus in his crown of thorns. Obviously, she must be a gang-banging piece of Latino shit. When in fact, she graduated North Texas with a degree in psychology, and is currently a mid-level manager for AT&T. I am no expert, nor do I claim to be. However, I usually know what is meant to be racist and what is just ignorance.
Donald Trump’s comments regarding the four congresswomen of color are racist. My grandfather used to say the same things. “Go back to where you came from. It’s America; love it or leave it, etc.”
It is not pollical rhetoric when you attack someone personally. The are all citizens of this nation. They all have the right to free speech – including criticizing the President. They have the right to pursue a more progressive style of government.
What reveals Trump’s stupidity, not ignorance, is he told three U. S. born women to go back where they came from. He said something about coming from countries with broken governments, crime-infested, etc. Taken at face value, Trump thinks the United States has a pretty crappy government, is crime infested and hates America.
Trump has recently been described as the most racist president since Andrew Jackson. I’m no presidential historian so I will defer to their judgement. I do know the Trump family business has been charged an sued in the past over discriminatory actions towards minorities.
I also didn’t realize it is a condition, or proof of my loyalty or love of my nation that I have to love the Israelis. I respect them greatly and support their right to their homeland. It doesn’t mean I love every decision they make as a country – which has nothing to do with my feelings for Judaism.
The house voted to condemn Trump yesterday. It amazed me how many Republicans defended his statements. Fortunately, there are enough who value the principles of our nation or partisan politics.
These, of course my opinions. You don’t have to agree with me, not at all. I am merely standing up, as a white male of European descent for the rights of all peoples under the Constitution.
So, I say to you – if indeed you are a white of European descent, “If you don’t like it, please feel free to go back to where you came from.” The country of your ancestors, not the last place you lived.

Freedom isn’t free.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”  A quote attributed to
Edmund Burke (in a letter addressed to Thomas Mercer). That's the short version, attributed to Burke.

Robert Ullrich, July 17, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and feedback are welcome here. One rule, be respectful of others and their opinions. Thank you for your time,
Robert Ullrich

Most Read Posts