Monday, March 19, 2018

Spring on the Horizon

Greetings and salutations from the not so warm, yet no longer quite so frozen center of Wisconsin.

Just a short update today, I am working on a longer post for later this week.

"Evolution of a Killer" is off to a slow start, to be expected from an unknown author who self-published on Amazon. The mainstream publishers refer to it as "Vanity Publishing", i.e. the author is publishing the book because it wasn't good enough for the typical publishing companies. Mark Twain, Edgar Allen Poe and to a limited degree, Stephen King (as a teen) self-published - so kiss my "Vanity Publishing" ass.

Before publishing Evolution, I sought out an agent for over two years. Many of them responded with comments to the effect that what I had was a very good novel, but the genre wasn't a fit with what the agency was currently searching for. I did, however, get two offers from Publishing houses. After considering their offers, I decided that I would rather go it alone. My goal isn't fame or fortune, it is to tell my stories.

I learned that with my poetry collection, "Life and Death in a Single Breath." I paid a publishing company to guide me through the process, and it cost me a couple of grand. Not a lot, true. With Kindle Direct Publishing, it cost me nothing but time - hour after hour after hour of editing and re-writing and working out the title, etc. I even design my own book covers. No they aren't "spectacular" to some - but the cover shot for "Evolution of a Killer" I took on Padre Island at the release of a few hundred sea turtles that had been hatched in captivity and returned to the sea. It's a cool freaking shot. The appearance of a "solar flare" isn't one - it's the way the clouds captured the rising sun, but it sure as hell LOOKS like a solar flare. The pelican skimming the Gulf was pure luck. My grandfather Clem Ullrich once told me lucky was better than good. I agree.

As for "Evolution" - it's free on Kindle Unlimited, a service I use extensively. If you have it, please give my book a read. It will take about 4-5 hours for the average reader at 366 pages. Two hours or less if your my brother Mark... just saying, no offense to the other 4, it just seems Mark has that whole reading thing down pat - Steve probably does, too. Both are retired educators - a most honorable profession that they obviously didn't get into for the money. To say I am proud of both of them is an understatement. Tom, Dave and James are all successful in their own ways - Dave as a retired Air Force Senior Master Sargent for example, Tom in the insurance industry - from the ground up to partner in his company, and James, who has the knack for food - both cooking and I dare say sometimes eating it! (All in good humor, not-so little brother.

I have also recently connected with some of my California born cousins, James for one and his daughter. I hope to continue that development. Their mother and father were wonderful people I barely got to know due to the distance.

That's a wrap for today. I hope it wasn't too boring.
Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and feedback are welcome here. One rule, be respectful of others and their opinions. Thank you for your time,
Robert Ullrich

Most Read Posts